Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Saturday, 28 February 2009

I remember....

A lot of people at the start of the New Year set their selves targets for the forthcoming months. How many birds to see, places to go, etc. Bit like New Year resolutions; I’ll do this, give up that, that sort of thing. (Ok, some people reading this are thinking, ‘wake up Keith, we’re nearly 3 months into the year, yer a bit late.’ I know, but bear with me.)
I’ve never been one for dashing all over, just to get a tick, however, I got to thinking the other day. There’s a bird I’ve not seen since I was a kid. A small brown bird, that I used to see nearly everyday, and hear. It always reminded me of summer, iconic of warm days and freedom. It was always there, and I took it for granted. But it’s not there now, or at least I haven’t seen or heard it.

It’s the Skylark.

I want to see one again. I want to see it rising into the sky, singing its song, and finally plunging earthward. Every time I go out, I look to no avail. Every new place I visit, I look to no avail.

Today, all being well, I’m going to RSPB at Sandy, always worth a visit. If you’re there too, and see a long haired bloke wandering about with a camera, and eyes gazing skyward, that’ll probably be me.

Looking for birds of prey and such; but mostly looking for days gone by, in the shape of the Skylark.

No comments:

Post a Comment