Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Thursday, 16 April 2009

Big smile

Oooooo, much excitement at the house today.
My first Siskin visited late in the afternoon. A beautiful male hanging from the Niger feeder in the rain, as I glanced out of the window. By the time I’d fallen over the dog in my rush to get the camera, he’d gone.

But he did return later, trying out the sunflower hearts, and then back to the Niger seed, so I managed to get a couple of shots through the rain splashed back door.
Not brilliant, but record shots at least.

I hope he comes again.

10 comments:

  1. I can see the grin on your face from here..congrats. We had a pair visit last weekend but no photo, drat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant Keith! Not one here this year after seeing two or three last year for just a few days. Just the thing to cheer up a wet day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Frank. It was a real boost seeing him, and he returned this morning. Fingers crossed he decides to become a regular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ShySongbird. Isn't it amazing how such a small thing can make a daft, big man like me, happy like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fingers crossed he returns with a few more! - once they find a well stocked feeder they usually will, just like goldfinches. Is their good breeding habitat nearby?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely stuff Keith - I can sense your huge grin from here. Hope you and the dog didn't suffer from your "trip"! :)

    Let's hope more will come visit too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Chris, he's been back a couple of times this morning, so it looks promising. A house accross the road has a couple of conifers in the garden, but I'm not sure they would be suitable. Maybe there's some in flying distance I'm not aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Tricia. I got really excited when I saw him.
    The dog's fine, he's used to me crashing around the place. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely little birds, siskins, but sometimes amazingly aggressive. We sometimes get them on our bird table in Durham and they'll see off the much larger greenfinches, no problem. I've heard that they are staying to breed in the UK much more than they did in the past........?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Greenfingers. Apparently their breeding numbers are increasing throughout, though most commonly in Scotland and Wales. Lovely birds indeed.

    ReplyDelete