Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Thursday, 2 April 2009

Cormorants

Graham, (The Old Grouse), had a couple of very interesting posts the other day about Cormorants; namely the British race of Cormorant Phalocrocorax carbo carbo and the continental race Phalocrocorax carbo sinensis, and how to tell the difference.

Well, I had to look through some of my old pictures to see if I had one or the other, or both. I’m certainly no expert at this, and if I hadn’t read Grahams posts, I’d have been in total ignorance as to the two different races. Like I say, I’m no expert, but on looking at them, I think maybe I have both. What do you think?


#1 'carbo' ?
#2 'sinensis' ?

#3 'sinensis' ?

#4 'carbo' ?

#5 These looked like they were wearing Indian headdresses



I may be totally wrong of course.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


And the 'rent letter' turned out to be an error on their part. I rang a very nice lady, who assured me it was, and should have been a quarter of that figure. She'll confirm later today.


I still fancy a bit of camping though, now I've thought about it. ;)





13 comments:

  1. Good news about your rent, Keith, although no increase in it would have been considerably better. I think that the Cormorant in photo 2 looks good for being a sinensis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-- I never knew there were 2 distinct 'branches' of cormorants...I love to watch them they look as if they are greased to glide down through the water.
    Great news about the rent and I agree with Graham, no increase would be the preferred. There must be a ceiling on all cost at some point dont ya think?
    Camping is a great way to get closer to our mother Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the increase was not as bad as feared!!

    I'm now totally confused about Cormorants having read yours and Graham's post!!

    (Bury's hand in sand again :D)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read Graham's post about those two races of Cormorants but it is still quite difficult to tell the difference. I agree with Graham that #2 is a good example of being "sinensis". #3 is probably "sinensis" too and #1 could be "carbo" but I am not quite sure about the #4... Nevertheless, all of them are very nice and interesting birds! :-)

    And by the way, it is so refreshing to sit here and try to recognize the continental and British race of Cormorants instead of worrying about problems at work... ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all,
    Then there's the problem of do P. c. sinensis Cormorants hybridise with P. c. carbo? As both races now breed in Britain, I guess that they do, so there are probably intermediate birds as well! That being so, there will be a lot of birds that cannot be positively identified as belonging to one race or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness I'm not even going to get into the Cormorant thing!
    So I wasn't actually too far off with the April Fool joke! So glad it's not as bad as it seemed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Graham. Seems quite a puzzle trying to work out the different races; and like you say, any crossbreeding......
    Think I'll leave that one to the experts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Dixxie. They are interesting to watch, and good fishermen too.
    A ceiling on rising costs is a good idea. No more till the next millenium would be good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Tricia. I'm confused too. Looking through all my Cormorant shots to put some on here, it was a case of 'is it or isn't it?'
    Something to do for long winter evenings perhaps? lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Petra. I agree about work; it should always take a back seat :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks ShySongbird. I'm certainly releived about the letter contents. I think I should get a refund for the worry caused.
    Doubt that will happen though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting information. I never knew there were 2 different races of cormorants. Now I need to review my cormorant shots to identify them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Andor. It was Graham that first mentioned about them in one of his posts, so I had a look through some of my pictures taken over a couple of years, and came up with these.

    ReplyDelete