Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Thursday, 30 April 2009

A quick visit to the local

I was aware of a weight on my chest, as I came out from a deep sleep. Opening one eye, very slowly, there was Jim, nose inches from mine, with a glint in his eye. It was still dark, so I guessed it was in the region of 4 a.m. His favourite time of day, I think.
Wake dad, then we go out.
Not yet boy, I’m tired.
I slowly closed my eye, to match the one beside it, and drifted back to the land of rest, aware of a tail brushing the bed, as the weight subsided.

I woke again with a start. The phone was ringing, and again, there was Jim. I hauled myself out of bed, grabbed the phone, and heard a ‘hello.’ I glanced at the clock, 8 a.m. I yawned.
hello’ said my mums voice again.
We chatted; well, mostly stifled yawns from me, about not very much. She wondered how I was. ‘Tired’, I thought.
Yea, fine.” I said.
More chat, then goodbyes, as the phone sat back down silent again.

Morning bits done, Jim fed, cat fed, Jim walked, and I decided a walk for me round the local was in order. Gardening should have been on the agenda, but……

It wasn’t quantity of birds on my mind as I made my way to the lake edge. I didn’t have much time really; the proper job was waiting for me later today. Just a quick visit for this morning, to check on a couple of birds that I’d seen on previous visits, and to see if another had arrived yet.

First up the Coot family, and there they were.

Still well hidden amongst the reeds. Three chicks sat on the nest, calling for mum, or dad, who soon arrived. No idea where the other six were, but at least three were still around.
I moved on, listening to invisible Chiffchaff singing, and Willow Warblers accompanying them.

I stopped to listen to some Sedge Warblers, singing their song, hidden amongst the reeds. Compared to a Nightingale, or even a Dunnock, not really a ‘song’, but since they’d flown such a long way to be here, it was only right I stopped to listen to what they were offering.

I carried on, carefully making my way round the edge. The Blackbirds with their keen yellow ringed eyes, were doing their best to announce the arrival of this longhaired bloke to all the other birds hidden in the bushes.

I stopped off to check the Swans nest again. Last time it looked deserted, but today, the proud mother to be, was back; and curled on the nest.

I smiled, and left her to her day.

A pair of Great Crested Grebes were dancing in front of each other in the middle of the lake, so I made my way down to the edge for a better look through the reeds. Not the brightest idea I had. The only thing I observed with clarity, and feeling, was my boots, slowly sinking in the mud, while the water began to make its way over them.

I squelched on.

The female Great Crested Grebe who was sat on her nest last time, was still there.

Well hidden, so hopefully she will be successful again this year, and raise her family.

A couple of Common Tern were swooping over the lake, and the lilac bushes along one edge, were flowering now, attracting all kinds of flying insects to their pollen.



I made my way back, with one more thing to check.

Last year, near the car park, a Common Whitethroat had a nest deep in the bushes. I wondered if they’d turned up yet.

A familiar song greeted me; the Whitethroat. Not very visible, but in good voice. A fleeting glimpse was all I was offered today, as she flew into some bushes, but I’m sure better opportunities for pictures will be available soon enough.



One from last year, to round off.
But for now, work is calling, and I hear it loud and clear.

12 comments:

  1. if i may say Keith, birds are what make your day,or shall i say the love of your life,lol. If only the birds could talk to you....they would say, "thanks Keith for appreciating our existence!". and thanks too for sharing these to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely read Keith. Almost as good as being there.Obviously lots of nesting activity to keep your eye on.
    I like the Whitethroat with grub. Looks to me as though it is saying - hurry up and get your photo, can't stay, I'm busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff again Keith, good old Jim does lead you a merry dance doesn't he? Many's the time I've opened one eye only to see a large dog sat by the bedside staring at me intently, most disconcerting!

    I'm glad you saw some of the Coot chicks and the Whitethroat is good news also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post again Keith - I really do enjoy reading them. Hope the Whitethroat does produce some young again - I'm sure you'll let us know if she does!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you lolit for your comment. It's true, I really do, simply enjoy the birds around me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks John. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. There's certainly plenty going on at my two local lakes to keep me busy at the moment, and I'm loving every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ShySongbird, thank you.
    Jim definitely keeps me on my toes.
    Going to check back on the Coots at the weekend, when I have a bit more time. And I'm really pleased about the Whitethroat coming all the way back. Especially if it's the same one, and found the same bush. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tricia, thank you. I'm glad you enjoy my ramblings.
    The Whitethroat is up there on my priority 'watch list.'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baby Coots are so cute...and I love peeping at them through the reeds. I had to laugh at your narration as my kitty, Bip, does the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another lovely day spent with you!! I especially loved that Swan photo - she looked like she was curled up like a kitty cat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed looking at your bird photos. Remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got behind with this; sorry.

    Kelly....Thanks for your comment.

    Shellmo....Thank you. They look so peaceful when they're curled up on the nest.

    Abe...Thanks for stopping by. Apreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete