Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Tuesday, 5 May 2009

Long day

A long day today started at 4 a.m. and has just finished, as I sit writing this at 7 p.m. A dull start to the day, the clouds scudding across the sky, blown by a strong wind, as the sun tried to break through the gaps burning a fire red.
A wonderful sight this morning, and to end it, a pair of Goldfinches making their tinkling sound from the feeder in the garden.

The bit in the middle wasn’t so good; that was filled with work, so no time to take pictures. That got me thinking about this time last year, and what was I doing?
Taking pictures of course.

I had discovered a pair of Great Crested Grebes nesting at my local, and eagerly followed their progress as they raised their young chicks.
A short post today, because I’m tired, but I want to catch up on updated blogs I follow, so a few pictures from this day last year.




And before I finish, I’d like to say a BIG thank you to Frank, The Early Birder, for taking the time yesterday, to help ID a bird of prey I was struggling with. I e-mailed a few not so good pictures I’d taken a few days ago, after he said he would have a go for me.
Thanks Frank, appreciate you taking some of your time to help me.


19 comments:

  1. That is some great manual focussing there Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This grebe has such sharp handsome colors around his face! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roy...... Thank you. They're tricky when they hide in the reeds like that. :)

    Shellmo.....Thank you. Yes, they're certainly beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the middle photo - sharp head with the blurred reeds gives a lovely 3D effect and makes the eye concentrate on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm another one taken with the middle photo - don't recall seeing a GCG square on like that. A sort of theatrical/ operatic mask-like look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to oblige a friend Keith. FAB Grebe photos.
    Now for the favour - I need some photo tips when we can meet up. ok?
    Have a good week & don't work too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John......Thank you. Something about these Grebes, that you just have to take their pictures when they are around.

    Rob.......Thanks. They do have striking faces.

    Frank......I don't know if 'tips' would be any good, or the right word, but it certainly would be good to meet up sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keith, i suggest you make a book for all these artwork, i think you can make alot of money on this,lol. No, seriously speaking, why don't you try to consider my suggestion. I believe many will benefit from this. don't you think so?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keith...these are gorgeous photos. It's such a spectacular bird to begin with, but your photos are so crisp and clear. Do you have a specialty of shooting in the reeds? I've seen several photos on your blog with that angle, and it is so nice, like you're catching them unawares.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GCGs always look so elegant and striking and your photos are lovely as usual Keith. I too love that wonderful tinkling noise the Goldfinches make, such a pretty sound.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lolit.....Thank you for your suggestion, very flattering. I may have a think about it. :)

    Kelly....Thank you for the kind words. Taking shots through the reeds is quite challenging, and a very hit and miss affair. Very rewarding when it works though.

    Abe....Thank you, kind of you to say so.

    Thanks ShySongbird. The Grebes do make good subjects; such beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great captures of what's becoming one of my favourite birds! Any sign of number of eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those were taken last year Tricia, but she did raise 4 healthy youngsters. I managed to get a few pictures of their progress, my favourite ones were the adult carrying the youngsters on their backs.
    Possibly the same pair, are back nesting in the same place, so I'll be following their progress again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keith - sorry. Did read your post properly but came back later to comment; those little grey cells have let me down! doh!

    Great to hear they're nesting again and am sure you'll keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO beautiful, Well done getting past those reeds!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tricia......my grey cells always let me down lol
    If I get a chance, I'm hoping to have a look this afternoon.

    Thanks Dixxie. Some of these birds don't make it easy getting their pictures do they. Still, if they did, there'd be no challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love the first shot with the reflection of the bird, it's very sharp.
    The great crested grebe is on the top 5 of my favorites birds beside kingfisher.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your comment Andor. I never tire of these birds, so good to photograph.
    The Kingfisher is one bird that has so far eluded me with the camera. One of my 'target' birds this year.

    ReplyDelete