Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Tuesday, 13 October 2009

A moment from today

For a few years now, I’ve done some garden work for a very nice family near to where I live. A few hours a week, before my main job, or after, depending on what shift I’m on. It’s a very big garden surrounded by trees; and plenty of birds and other animals.
The lady of the house was looking after her granddaughter this morning, and she was playing with her dolls and pram. She’s about 3; we’ll call her Emily.

The sun was shining on my back, as I was on my hands and knees, clearing some fallen leaves from one of the many borders. And by my side, gently serenading me with his little song, was a Robin. Less than 12 inches away, and occasionally darting in to pick up any insects that were unearthed. I call him ‘my Robin’, because whenever I’m working on this part of the garden, he comes by, and sings while I work.
I stopped for a moment, and just watched him as he watched me, waiting for something to be uncovered, so he could nip in and take what was on offer.

It doesn’t get better than this.’ I thought to myself, as I admired his trusting little ways.

What are you doing?’ a little whisper said next me.
It was Emily, down on her hands and knees, next to me.

Watching my little friendly Robin sing.” I said quietly.
She watched for a moment, and then in a hushed tone said, “Why is he singing?”
I turned my head, and her little eyes were wide open, staring at the little songster.
Because he’s happy.” I smiled.
Not taking her eyes off the little bird she asked, “Why is he happy?”

I thought for a moment, and replied, “Because you’ve come to watch him sing as well, and now you’re his little friend too.

She smiled, and said, “I like my little friend.”

The day did get better.

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and sensitive post Keith, a very moving account of a very special encounter. How I would love to have photographed the three of you, I could see it all in my mind though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet moment, Keith. No photograph needed to capture it in your memory. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww!

    She sounds like a total sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ShySongbird. It'd be a nice thought to think she continues her interst as she gets older.

    Wilma, thank you. It was one of those little things that stay in the memory.

    Thanks Jen. She's a little angel. Hope she stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Keith,
    Wow, That is a very nice story and I guess Emily will remember that for a long time... This is beautiful to be able to share moments like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a perfect conversation and one that ended well and made a lasting impression.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful story, beautifully told, Keith. Such a precious moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhh......I really enjoyed reading this post. Such a sweet moment for you listening to the Robin......and then you made it very special for the little girl. A perfect moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A precious encounter... for the robin, Emily, and you. A sweet post altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A heart warming post Keith. This is what it is all about. Hopefully, it will stay in "Emily's" memory too. You planted the seed that will hopefully flourish. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Keith. All our days have got better for that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Chris. It would be nice to think Emily does remember that moment in the future.

    Abe, thanks. Young kids have such an honest way of saying things sometimes.

    Thanks Roy.

    Thank you John.

    Thanks Emma. A moment I shall always remember.

    Kelly, thank you. One of those little moments, that makes a big impression.

    Thank you Valerie.

    Thanks Angie. Maybe the small spark, that flourishes her interest in nature.

    Thanks Trevor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a precious moment. Including children in observing nature at a young age is something they'll remember and come back to forever. I hope Emily will keep looking for her friend the Robin always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Andrea. It was a great little moment; for us both.

    ReplyDelete