Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Sunday, 11 April 2010

Summer Leys again

.
Had a very successful day yesterday at Summer Leys, watching the Barn Owl. A very early start, had me in place by 6 a.m. Only just starting to get light, and then I saw it, silently flap past. Then another! I couldn’t believe it; a pair hunting together.
.
Now when I say successful, I mean for actually seeing them. Pictures? Hmmm, different story. I still need to work on that. I think I need an infra red camera or something. The first lot of shots were at 1/6, 1/15, and 1/25 of a second. Hand held; they look quite arty.
(that’s being posh for crap).
I did manage a few as it got lighter though, and before they decided to call it a night, or day. They’re not much better, but you can see what it is.
.
.



.

I’m getting there. lol
.
While I’m on about poor pictures, here’s another. But a reason for posting it.
.

.
A hefty crop, from a long way off; but do you notice the gull in the middle? It’s pink!
Couldn’t believe it when I saw it through the binoculars.
.

That was taken at Summer Leys last week. So were these that follow.
.
.
Great Crested Grebe, with quite a large breakfast. Just a shame he wouldn’t turn round with it though.
.
.
.

This swan flew in looking like he meant business.
.

.

This pair did mean business. Poor shot, I know.
.
.
A Willow Warbler, just finishing his song; and last three coming up.
.
.



.
.
Redshank. At least he saved the day.
.
.

Enjoy what’s left of the weekend
.
.

21 comments:

  1. A damn sight more successful than my morning. The swan is grand, The owls well, pretty good considering the light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keith! in those last three shots he is trucking right along. is that snow? ours is all gone!! yesterday while I was out and about, I saw two male mallard ducks fighting and I swear one was trying to drown the other and doing a good job of it. but didn't succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Adrian. The owls are pretty challenging lol

    Thanks Doreen. The white stuff is foam, or froth, from the lake. It does look like snow. The Mallards do fight pretty rough. I've a shot of two males, where one is trying to drown the other. I'll post it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got lots of those "arty" shots as well! LOL Great to see the barn owls even if you didn't get to photograph them - they are such wonderful birds and so silent.

    I wonder what sent the gull pink? Or is it a posh species that I don't know about?

    Those last three Redshank shots are lovely! I have never yet managed to get close enough to a wader for a decent shot so I am even more impressed with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arty Barn Owl is acceptable, especially that early am! Flushed pink on the breast...were you hoping for a Little Gull perhaps? FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...the legs on the Redshanks are crazy orange. I love them. I like the owl shots. They are cool, and to see two hunting together--amazing! Glad you had a good day out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice one Keith - and I'm not in the least jealous of your Barn Owl (she lied!!!) or the Willow Warbler....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good day - I particularly liked the weed dance shot - always worth catching! The shank shots are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Kerry. Not sure what happened with the gull, but he certainly stood out.
    The Redshank was very kind, coming quite close. :)

    Cheers Frank. I did wonder about the gull, but he was same size as all the Black-headed.

    Thanks Kelly. Yea, those legs are outrageous aren’t they lol
    Two owls were a real treat.

    Thanks Tricia. I had a feeling this was going to be a good year. :)

    Mark, thank you. The weed dance is amazing to see isn’t it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 6AM, sounds like the middle of the night to me Keith{:)
    You are certainly getting closer to the Barn Owl. Those are some fabulous Redshank images as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a day Keith... Wow should have been gorgeous to see all this! I love the dancing grebe shot and would have like just to witness this... Iðve never seen it with my own eyes and I do not even know if I would have thought of using the camera in front of this show ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Redshank is a target for my blog, I hope that mine will be as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Roy. I never seem to get a chance to have a lay in. My dog always wakes me about half four, most mornings lol

    Chris, I know what you mean about missing things with the camera. Quite often I'm so wrapped up watching, I forget to take pictures.

    Thanks Bob. I'm sure you'll get your Redshank shots soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done Keith. Target achieved. Lovely close-ups of the Redshank.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Trevor. Just need a 'good' picture now lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so impressed with the owl shots.. particularly the one in flight. What a beauty! It seems to me that you sure don't miss much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Hilary. Some I miss; always so much to see everyday. lol It's a great world.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful series once more :)
    The redshank is absolutely fabulous !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keith...the shots of the owl are great considering the hour..I dont think I could even find the ISO button at that hour--
    Ive never witnessed the dance of the Grebes as you did..thats really something!! The redshank shots are super!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Quality selection, I would love to get some Owl images but no luck as yet. Patience and more visits are required and I am sure you will get some fantastic Owl images

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pescalune, thank you for your comments. :)

    Thank you Dixxe. It was a good day, in spite of the early hour lol

    Thanks Bob. Now I know where they are, should be a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete