Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Friday, 2 April 2010

A yellow one

Had an interesting day yesterday, before the rain came and spoilt the fun. A visit to the two local lakes, and a country park up the road, provided some nice encounters with a Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Chiffchaff, and my very first Yellow Wagtail, at my local, Caldecote Lake.
.

About a dozen Pied Wagtails were in a small flock in the distance,



and as I got nearer, they all took to the air; as they do. Then, when they settled again, I noticed this yellow bird amongst them.
.


.
What a beauty. Finished off the day rather well.
.
.
.
.
But back to the earlier stuff; getting ahead of myself in the excitement.
.
.
After scraping the frost from the windscreen, I headed off to Willen Lake first. A fairly early start, saw me there before the joggers and dog walkers stake claim to the place.
I wanted to concentrate on getting some Chiffchaff shots. Plenty singing everywhere at the moment, it seems, but a bit difficult to capture with the camera. They tend to favour the tops of trees to do their singing.

.


This one proved me wrong though. He chose the highest point of a distant bush, to do his singing. Well, I got him singing, but not as close as I wanted.
I’ve noticed they usually drop down lower when looking for insects; I needed to wait till he got hungry.
.

.

A bit closer. Hard to grasp, that this little 4” ball of feathers, weighing about 0.3 of an ounce has travelled all the way from North Africa. Amazing.
.
.
I waited, and eventually he came closer still.

.



.
.

That’s what I wanted.
.
.
.
Next stop, Stockgrove Park.

.
.
.

29 comments:

  1. Ecxellent Chiffy pics. I'm still waiting to get close enough...maybe sometime! A Yellow Wag would certainly brighten up my damp days over here. Have a good weekend. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect shot of the Yellow Wagtail Keith, very fitting for the Easter weekend... Your right its a real beauty. The last pic of the Chiffchaff is picture postcard, very special me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Frank. I was amazed just how bright that wag was. A real stunner.

    Debbie, thank you. I was pleased with the Chiffchaff shots. Got there eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant Chiffchaff shots Keith and that Yellow Wag is just amazing, great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent chiffy! i do love yellow wags.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Roy. The Chiffchaffs led me a bit of a dance to get those lol

    First time I've seen the Yellow Wag Pete. Lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos. Im yet to get a yellow wagtail this year

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shots Keith, have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, great shots. I love the yellow one, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What colorful Easter birds you have there. Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing your critters with the us.

    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Adrian. Have a good weekend too.

    Diane, thank you. Enjoy the weekend.

    Patty, thanks for your comment. Have a good Easter too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely yellow wagtail Keith.... it's a long time since I've seen one of those. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Phil. He's a first for me.
    Have a good Easter too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous pics of the Yellow Wagtail, and the Chiffchaff leaves me in a state of awe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheers Bob. Appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shot of the Yellow Wagtail Keith, Hope you have a good Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shots Keith. The last one is fantastic...also well done on the Yellow Wagtail. In my early birding days (about 30 months ago) I came across a Canary coloured bird on the footpath by the hide at Hayle. It had a black largish bib and I cannot find anything remotely like it in any of the birding books. Probably missed my call to fame.although I did see the Golden Eagle at Stithians with Angie...but was never asked for my comments.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I like the pink background one, with the bird in the treetops.

    I have a birdy post coming soon, it'll be dedicated to you. Of course, only because it has birds in it, not for any other reason. LOL!

    You'll understand what I mean when you see the post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful captured.
    I have never seen the yellow and pied variety, only the Grey Wagtail here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow...those last three shots are just stellar, and I love the little yellow bird. The first in that series is my favorite. I like the dark, blurred background.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable birds! I've never seen a Yellow Wagtail neither a Chiffchaff before! They are very beautiful!

    Have a delightful weekend, ciao! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Keith. It’ll be a quiet one for me. :)

    Thanks Trevor. Sounds like an interesting bird you saw. I guess you get some pretty rare ones turn up from time to time there. Must have been great to see the Golden Eagle. I’d love to see one of those.

    Jen, thanks for your comments.
    I’ll look forward to your ‘birdy post’ ;)

    Thanks Tabib. It was my first ‘yellow’, so I was very thrilled.

    Thanks Kelly. I was lucky being able to get that close to him.

    Müge, thank you for your comment.
    Have a good weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your patience and perseverance was well rewarded there Keith. Great Chiffchaff shots. A bird I often hear way up in the tree tops but never managed to see as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful little bird. Your photos are excellent! I can tell that you snap those shots with love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks John. They seem to spend an awful lot of time up high in the trees, don't they.

    Thanks for your comment Hilary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those Wagtails are beautiful birds. I have never seen them before today. So many of your birds are new to me here in Ohio and in my backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Keith,
    Wow the three last shots are very very impressive, perfect! Well I'm happy you got the shots you wanted... It kind of boost the moral sometime ;-) Congrats on the yellow wagtail... A pretty good day you got... Let's hope we will get plenty of this kind in the coming month!

    ReplyDelete
  28. excellent post! cute little yellow one. is that a canary? have a great weekend and Happy Easter! glad I could give you a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Abe, One of the great things about blogs; we get to see so much from around the world.

    Cheers Chris. Last month was good, let's hope this month is even better. Looking forward to all the new arrivals.

    Thanks Doreen. When I first spotted that bird, that's exactly what I thought it was. He's a Yellow Wagtail.
    Enjoy the rest of Easter :)

    ReplyDelete