Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Sunday, 2 May 2010

W is for……..

Wet.
.
Well, actually it is, but then it’s a Bank Holiday weekend, and we wouldn’t expect much else. Nah; what I had in mind was some birds beginning with ‘W’. Not all of them, blimey I ain’t got that many pictures………erm, well, yea, I’ve got a few, but…….
.
Nah, just a few beginning with a ‘W’, and I’ll start with a not very good picture I took yesterday; but boy, was I thrilled to see this one. A ‘lifer’ as they say in the birding circles. And I ‘found’ it all by myself.

‘ark at me, sounding like a proper twitcher there! Now I got nothing against twitchers, but all this chasing around ticking off a ‘rare’ bird is not for me. If it’s where I happen to be, then great, but I won’t be hurtling up the motorway in pursuit of that blown off course Pacific Swift, or anything else that’s blown off.
.
Anyway, I spotted this largish looking wader, way off in the distance through the bins, with a curved bill. A Curlew, I thought to myself. There was no-one else around to ask, or confirm, (Never is when you want someone. If I’d been trying to get a picture of something any other time, a thousand joggers would have thundered past; but today, just me and the birdsong.), so I took a few pictures, thinking I’ll blow them up on the computer when I get home, and check myself.
It didn’t feel right for a Curlew though; the ‘jizz’ was ………..…oh bugger, twitcher mode creeping in there.
.
So, after consulting the books, I present, a Whimbrel.
.

.
Not the best picture ever taken, but enough to see what it was, and like I say, a first for me, so I was happy.
.
Another ‘W’ bird around at the moment, is a Whitethroat.
.
.
Again, I’m struggling for a good picture. A couple of years ago I found one nesting at a local lake, and managed to get some good shots. So far, not this year though.
At the risk of sounding like a post of excuses, here’s a Warbler. Well it’s got a ‘W’ in there.
.

.
A Garden Warbler. Quite a secretive bird, with what I think is a lovely song. I’ve managed to find a pair at a local lake, and I’m hoping they’ll breed successfully.
.
I’ll slip in another Warbler, before my last proper ‘W’. A Sedge Warbler.
.
.
A raucous singer, who reminds me of Janis Joplin on a good night.
.
And last ‘W’, is the Wheatear.
.



.
Had quite a few of these drop in locally, and most of the time they’ve been very obliging for pictures.
.
.
Hope you enjoyed a few of the W’s, and the rest of your weekend is Wonderful.
.
.
.

20 comments:

  1. I love your Janis Joplin Warbler - great catch !!
    Very nice series once more - thanks !
    Have a beautiful Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great when you see a new species; I always get the same thrill, though like you I wouldn't go chasing anywhere to see one: I prefer them to come to me!

    Some great shots as always. I especially like the first Garden Warbler, that cracking Sedge Warbler shot and also the last Wheatear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well spotted with the Whimbrel. I bet you are really pleased with that. Looking at the RSPB site I guess it could have been on its way back from South Africa.

    Not wet here at the moment but things could change!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a certain satisfaction, Keith, when I watched what I at first thought was a curlew, and it turned out to be a whimbrel. The moment it turned toward me and I saw those stripes on its head - a perfect view, and your picture sums it up nicely.

    I agree with you about 'twitchers', (while having nothing against them). Years ago, I did go a couple of miles along the road to see a wryneck: good views and the only time I've seen one. I felt sorry for the householders in the street facing the dene edge where it had settled. And I once went to the Durham coast to watch Little Gulls, which were delightful (a Birdline notification, not a twitch). My old bird-watching teacher said it was best to see the bird in its country of origin! Great, if you regularly visit Siberia or where ever else the vagrants come from.

    Keep up the good work, Keith and I hope you are keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You caught the Whimbrel, I haven't seen one. You must have been over the moon. And, what about the others, really great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really envy you seeing the Whimbrel at Willen Keith. Nothing much there this morning. All the Best. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! What wonderful Ws :)

    Well done with the Whimbrel, there have been some at Draycote recently but sadly not seen by me :( I am very envious of the great places you have on your doorstep, they seem to have so many goodies!

    I had to smile at you creeping into birder mode, I sometimes find myself using those terms...eek, I swore that would never happen :)

    Gorgeous photos again and I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen one of them! I shall listen out for Janis Joplin though! :) I think that is my favourite photo, I do love it when they are captured singing their hearts out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on this twitching lark Keith. If a rare bird presents its self on your travels, thats great, but not to chase around the country after every dubious sighting.
    You have got a nice little set here Keith. The Whimbrel, a spring migrant no less and that is a really nice shot of the Garden Warbler and I still haven't seen a Wheater this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your comment Pescalune. I’m having a lazy day at home today. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    Kerry, thank you. Seeing a new bird is always a thrill.

    Thanks John. I don’t know much about Whimbrels, but he didn’t stay long where I saw him. Pure chance I spotted him at all.

    Emma, thanks for your comments. I don’t think the twitching bug will bight me; like you I’d be too mindful of the impact hoards of people have on the surroundings.

    Cheers Bob. Yea, seeing that Whimbrel certainly put a spring in my step lol

    Thanks Rob. I didn’t see a soul there yesterday. A shame nobody else dropped in to share the view.

    Jan, thank you. Great opening line lol
    I’m very lucky with some great places close to where I live. And I’m sure there’s others I’ve yet to discover. I’ve also been fortunate in having a lot of time to go out looking at the moment.

    Cheers Roy. I think it's more rewarding when you stumble upon a great bird when you’re out. I did go looking for Smew earlier in the year though; but they were at local lakes I was visiting anyway. They’d gone by the time I went down there lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great collection of images, especially the Wheatear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Paul. First time I've managed to get pictures of the Wheatears this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the Whimbrel..nothing better than finding your own new species...a great thrill.
    Lovely set of W's but did I miss the rest of the alphabet and what the heck will you post for 'X'? Take care, I'll be in touch soon. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, I am not complaining about the wet weather at the moment, my garden is very dry, my waterbuts are empty, so I am glad of the rain at the moment. Great set of pictures, especially the Sedge Warbler. Congratulations on capturing the Wimbrel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheers Frank. Very pleased to spot the Whimbrel. Alphabet birds....great idea. Hmmm, 'X'; would have to be 'Xema sabini'. lol

    Thank you Linda. The rain was very welcome; I just hope it doesn't overstay its welcome now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keith,
    Wish you a belated Happy Birthday.Am sure you had a GREAT day!
    You sure caught some nice images.The sunrise is beautiful from your previous post and I really liked the post on the Little Ringed Plovers.So long hope you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your 'W's. The Sedge Warbler/Janis Joplin correlation was a win/win. LOL
    Thanks for the tour.
    Have a Great week

    ReplyDelete
  17. great post, birds, and photos! Congrats on your lifer :) My husband is much more into the list stuff than I am, but I'm a bit nerdy about it myself sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice images Keith the Sedge Warbler is Brill

    ReplyDelete
  19. Had some time today to look through your blog, you have some excellent photos on here, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. NatureStop, thank you for your comments.
    Hope all is well with you and your family.

    Thank you Dar. Yea, the best way I could think to describe the song of the Sedge Warbler lol

    Thanks Jill. Only kept a list for the last couple of years really, but it’s good to keep adding to it :)

    Thanks Keith. They’re getting quite showy here at the moment.

    Tony, thanks for stopping by, and your comment. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

    ReplyDelete