Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Friday, 9 July 2010

Harrold-Odell Country Park

.
I tried a visit to a new lake the other day. Well, not exactly new, I’ve been once before, last year. I had a rough idea where it was, quick look on a road map, and off I went.

How hard can it be to find a place, especially when you’ve been before, and there are road signs?

Answer…….very hard. I could lose myself from my front door to my drive.

I got hopelessly lost down country lanes. I saw bits of my county and neighbouring counties I’d never seen before. Which is good; but not when the idea is to go somewhere in particular.
Eventually I came upon it by chance, and pulled into the car park, along with loads of other cars. I hate busy places, but since I was here, eventually, I decided to stay.

Harrold-Odell Country Park.
Their website describes it as………… “opened in 1986 following the restoration of a former sand and gravel extraction site. Extraction ceased in 1980 and the Park was established through planting and the flooding of 3 pits to form 3 lakes. The Park is 58.7 hectares in size and has a variety of habitats including woodland; grassland including flood meadow; open water and river. Together with the visitor centre, car parks and access routes; these features form the Park…..People enjoy visiting the Park for its peace and tranquillity and to be close to nature.”

And surprisingly, most of the occupants of the other cars, had managed to disappear in to the surroundings. Either that, or they had all fallen into the lakes. I hardly saw anyone; which suited me just fine.

I walked the circuit, following the paths, and saw a few birds. Most were pretty shy, as were the countless dragons and butterflies, but as ever, the ducks and geese seldom remain shy for long.
.
This Greylag Goose came steaming over with his mates, to see if I had bread wrapped around my camera.

He seemed a little disappointed, but hung around anyway, just in case.
.
I soon came under the watchful gaze of a Cormorant,



maybe to see if I had any fish wrapped around the camera, instead of bread.
.
One of his mates flew in,

but soon realised, ‘no fish here’, so left.


The stars of the ‘park’, at the moment though, have to be these guys.

A small group of Egyptian Geese have raised a few chicks. I’m sure these ‘different’ looking geese are a hit with the visitors.


Or maybe most of the people just don’t know, and pass them over as just another ‘duck’.

Well, I enjoyed their company. They were very curious, and not at all shy.

Yea, it was a good morning…………eventually.
.
.
Have a good weekend.
.
.

23 comments:

  1. Excellent images, especially like the Egyptian Geese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my best days include never making it to my planned destination. I love trips with no time constraints, no plan and all day to do it in. A cell phone or my Ham radio to contact home and tell them I will be very late makes it more injoyable because wife does not have to wonder if I am 'lost or hurt' somewhere. Many times though, I take family along and we get lost together...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - this was an impressive set of photos! Nicely done!

    I could get lost in a paper bag...I feel your pain! LOL! :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bob. Yea, I love these geese. Love the markings on them.

    Dale, I think you're right. Some of the best trips are the unplanned ones. Thanks for your comment.

    Thanks Jen. Yea, my sense of direction isn't my best trait lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great shots Keith, I love the Egyptain Geese, especially the eyes with close up views.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bob. I think they always look as though someone has given them a black-eye lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story - lol !
    I love the grumpy cormorant - looks very funny :)
    This Egyptian Geese is very nice ! Never seen one of these - beautiful pics you made !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Pescalune. The Egyptian Goose is quite a handsome bird. I'm sure you'll see one one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes easier navigating by the stars..Lol.
    Good location; I see it has a Grebe Lake and Kingfisher Water...worth a revisit..if you can find it. The car will know which way to go.
    Have a good weekend and stay cool. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those egyptian geese are certainly show stoppers! Loved the last photo and how you captured the gleam of his eye. That graylag goose looks like a friendly fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Keith -- entertaiing post (as I have come to expect). I don't like crowded places either, and like you wouldn't mind a bit if "they had all fallen into the lakes."
    cheers,
    Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Keith -- entertaiing post (as I have come to expect). I don't like crowded places either, and like you wouldn't mind a bit if "they had all fallen into the lakes."
    cheers,
    Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds as though your navigation skills are on a par with mine Keith ;)

    It was worth the search. Great photos as always. Love the close shot of the Greylag.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post again Keith, the photos have your unique brand of humour and beauty. The Cormorant sequence is lovely and the Egyptian Goose is such a distinctive bird, I don't know how anyone could fail to be impressed by it.

    As someone who has a severe problem with no sense of direction I sympathise! I have been known to get lost in supermarkets, shopping centres, hospitals (no wonder I don't like any of those places)...you name it I've got lost in it :) As for busy places...Yuk! My ideal walk is one where I don't see anyone else at all.

    I have no idea how I missed your last post :( and one with such a beautiful collection of photos too! Great pics of the dragons, I always think the exuvia looks a bit spooky. Lovely to see the Marbled White, I saw some the other day but they wouldn't settle for a photo. I loved the Reed Warbler too, another one I have never managed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great place to visit and you got some great shots! I especially like the cormorants and the Egyptian Goose.

    Like you I too like a peaceful walk without other humans ruining the tranquility of a place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cheers Frank. Yea, it’s not a bad place at all. Even got a bird hide ;)

    Shelley, thank you. They were all friendly……they thought I’d come to feed them lol

    Thanks Wilma. Yea, I’m not very good with crowds lol

    Thanks John. Yea, I’ve never been good at navigation lol

    Jan, thank you for your comments. Always appreciated.
    It seems I’m not the only one to get lost easily lol

    Thank you Kerry. I think the human race in general; have a knack of ruining pretty much everything unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Egyptian geese shots are really good Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photographs as usual Keith. Just love the Cormorant...I think you summed it all up beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the second one then came the egyptian geese!! wow! so remarkable. I love just taking off and finding a place out of no where. fabulous post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Roy. I love the markings on Egyptian Geese. That's the first time I've managed to see them close.

    Thank you Trevor. Good fishermen aren't they lol

    Doreen, thank you. Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can sure say that I have been lost a few times only to come upon some interesting places. Now I dont leave home without a phone and yes my camera most times.
    Loved your blog and your photograhy is outstanding. Im still amazed that I came upon your blog and felt at home.
    Have a wonderful day way over there.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Lisa. I take my phone when I go out, but it never seems to hold a charge lol
    I guess I rely on luck, and fate, to keep me out of trouble. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Im so glad you did find it...These photos are the great reward you got for your trouble!!
    Looks like a super spot to add to your rounds---happy birding Keith-

    ReplyDelete