Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Friday, 20 August 2010

The mimic

.
Ok, here’s a bit of a fun post for today.
.
I went out the other day to take some pictures, and while I was out I met a fellow birder. We got chatting, and I mentioned I was going to try and get some pictures of the Reed Warblers, in the clump of reeds, just ahead of us.
He told me there was one there, that sang just like a Cetti’s Warbler. Not as loud, and as powerful as a Cetti’s; but did a remarkable impression of one, nonetheless.
This I had to see…………..and hear!
And I did!
Now I briefly saw the bird in question, but he was very shy, and stayed hidden amongst the reeds and bushes. I did manage to film the bush though, and you can hear him singing.
.
Now first, this link takes you to RSPB site, where you can click the sound file for Cetti’s Warbler. This is what he sounds like; although personally I don’t think this is a particularly good sound file; but it’ll give you a good idea.…..………
.
Cetti's Warbler
.
Next, the link for Reed Warbler. This is what he should sound like……….
.
Reed Warbler
.
And the video I took of the reeds, with the crazy Reed Warbler
.


A real performer, and great mimic!!
.
.

17 comments:

  1. That's quite amazing Keith. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating Keith. Strewth it's hard enough trying to identify bird songs for me without them cheating lol. Listening to the RSPB files I can safely say I have never heard either in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it does sound alike, don't you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Fun! Nature never ceases to amaze me--have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Warblers, Wrens i love to find them but they try my patience sometimes trying to photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent and how it is sometime difficult to see and ID birds ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are both difficult to see at the best of times Keith, as for trying to sort out the song as well. He was trying to build your hopes up perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well being more photographer than birder I have listened and am still confused!!! Thanks for posting Keith

    ReplyDelete
  9. North Bucks Wildlife, thank you. I wonder where he learnt that trick.

    Thanks John. If I hadn’t been told about this particular bird, I’d have been totally confused. lol

    Thanks Bob, a pretty good impression I thought.

    Thank you Dixxe. Have a good weekend too :)

    Thanks Dale. They can be quite elusive can’t they.

    Nature is amazing at times isn’t it Chris.

    Thanks Roy. It’s a good job they aren’t all mimics lol

    Bob, I was confused too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant Keith. I'm glad you were there it would have passed me by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Adrian. I'm glad I managed to see and hear it; it was certainly unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Keith.."do you mind if I call you that" I see a few refer to you as that??
    Interesting test...do you have mockingbirds there??
    I have them and they can drive you nuts mimicking very thing. You think you have some interesting bird only to find him having a high old time teasing you!!!
    Have a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. birds are so cute! I love them!! they are always happy and singing and sharing with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your Nature-Optics, Keith! You're an artist with camera; greetings from the alps and another birdie-fan...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grammie, I don't mind you calling me Keith at all; I've been called a lot worse lol
    We don't have Mockingbirds here, but our Starlings are pretty good at mimicry. They have quite a varied vocabulary at times.

    Thanks Doreen. Yea, they are great aren't they. :)

    Rudhi, thank you for your kind words. Appreciate it. Hope you enjoy your visits.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now next time I hear a Cetti's I'll be wondering if it's a Reed Warbler mimic!!
    Nice find OR heard. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cheers Frank. He certainly had me wondering at first lol

    ReplyDelete