Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Friday, 24 September 2010

Barnes

Yesterday I spent a very enjoyable day with fellow blogger Tricia. I’ve always enjoyed her posts from one of her ‘local’ places, LondonWetland Centre, in Barnes, and yesterday it certainly lived up to its name. It was a very wet day.
An early morning start, and a torturous journey through rush hour and London traffic, finally had me at my destination, after 2 and a half hours. And then it rained! Oh well, at least I got there, after wanting to visit for so long.

I’d mentioned to Tricia before, that a bird I was looking forward to seeing, was the Rose-ringed Parakeet; having only seen a fleeting glimpse of one once before, a couple of years ago, as it flew overhead whilst out walking Jim.
I wasn’t disappointed. It was one of the first birds I saw while I waited at the car park; and a small group were constantly flying around and calling to each other.

We made our way inside, a quick coffee, and then set off through the rain, with Tricia being the guide. On the way to various hides, and sheltering spots from the rain, we stopped at various spots to take a few pictures.



An Aster of some sort. The rain drops helped here.



Update.....Thanks for the ID Jan ........
Verbena Bonariensis


But the birds………what about the birds. Well, we watched a very wet Cormorant from one of the hides, constantly diving, presumably fishing; but unsuccessful while we were there.


A glimpse of a Willow Warbler, flitting through the trees; a beautiful Blackcap, with his shiny black crown, treated us to some views amongst the branches; a count of about a dozen Snipe, viewed from the top of the Peacock Tower, overlooking the suitably named ‘Wader Scrape’; and everywhere we walked, there seemed to be Moorhen running around. But only one like this.



A yellow bill. First time I’ve seen one like that, but Tricia mentioned that he’d been around there for a while.

I think for me, one of the favourite bits of the reserve, was the area called ‘World wetlands.’ Little lakes and pools with various geese and ducks from around the world. A real treat to see these birds.


 A Cape Teal. What a beauty.



Hooded Merganser. It was raining a bit here.



White-faced Whistling Duck.



I’m pretty certain this one is a Red-billed Whistling Duck.



I can’t remember the names of these two beauties.

Update .... Thanks Bob, top one is a Rosybill 



A Demoiselle Crane



Barnacle Goose


And this last one for now,


Update .... Ringed Teal  (thanks Bob)


Lots of others too, but maybe I’ll post some of the other pictures another time.
A lot of birds seen as we made our way to and from the hides, and plenty seen from the shelter of the hides also.
Gadwal, Tufted Duck, Coot, Jackdaw, Crow, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Robin, Teal, and a few Heron. There were more, but it will turn into a list otherwise. Worth a mention though, was the good flock of Starlings flying round in a swirling mass. Ok, not Brighton roost standards, but good to watch; and a Sparrowhawk that flew overhead.
And was that a Hobby that glided round a hide, as we left? 

Aha, the unknown bird that got away.

And as we left, a farewell from my ‘target’ bird.



  He sat in the tree, and posed beautifully for a while.

I had a great visit Tricia, and thanks for being my guide for the day. I’d love to come back another time.

Going home a different way, to avoid the crazy London traffic, I got stuck in a tail back from an accident on the motorway. Two hours stationary. A long 3 and a half hour journey home in total.

Maybe a train next time.

29 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time with a good guide. Lovely set of bird photos. I particularly like the Cape Teal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...you really hit the jackpot with photos today. I think the rain made everything even more beautiful. I loved all the raindrops beading up on their feathers...so soft and lovely. I also loved the purple asters--gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Rose-ringed Parakeet is my favourite,and the ones that you couldn't name, were Rosybill and the Ringed Teal. The other one, well I can't rescue from my tiny brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keith WoW!!..Wish I was the blogger that lived near you! ; } .....What great photos rain and all it just to added to the beauty of it all!!
    Beads of rain on the backs of the the birds and flowers...great stuff..loved it!!
    To bad about the trip home that I would not like!!
    "Happy Hugs" and a good weekend to you !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks John. A brilliant day, despite the weather. The Cape Teal was my favourite too, as I looked through the pictures when I got home.

    Thanks Kelly. I was pleased with the results as well. Just shows a rainy day can still do it lol

    Bob, thanks for your ID's there, much appreciated. The Parakeets look so out of place in this country, flying aound, but they are doing really well in the wild.

    Thanks Grammie. It's always great meeting up with fellow bloggers; wish I could do it more often. Have a great weekend too, and some hugs back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...IM so pleased you went tripping the other side of London and brought all these wonderful birds back for us to view as well!! I know how horrible traffic can be from my days of living in NYC! I just cant get over all the great waterfowl..and Like you I love that Parakeete!! The Monk Parrott which is from Chile, has become quite successful in Brooklyn,NY where I lived...they are quite loud and so much fun to watch. Super post Keith!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice day Keith, apart from the rain and our glorious traffic problems. You will just have to go back there when the weather is better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Dixxe. Yea, I had a real good time, despite the weather; and journey lol
    The Parakeets seem far to exotic for this cold, wet country. But this morning.....no rain. Off out to play soon :)

    Cheers Roy. Yea, it's well worth a return visit, and I'd love to do that again.

    Nicole, thanks for your visit, and comment. Had a quick look at your blog; amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impossible to find a favourite here. It is an odd fact that rainy days can really give colours a lift. A real tour de force.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great day you and Tricia had, Keith! A shame the weather wasn't more kind to you both though. It certainly didn't affect your photography, all the photos are lovely. I would have been thrilled to see the Parakeets, I'm glad they put in an appearance for you :) I know they look odd in our environment but I do like them.

    I also enjoyed seeing all the ducks from around the world, so pretty. Your mystery flower looks to me like Verbena Bonariensis, a butterfly magnet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Adrian. Yea, it does seem sometimes the rainy days can make the best pictures.

    Thank you Jan. It was an excellent day. And thanks for that plant ID. I reckon you’re right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was a really good day Keith and the company was much sunnier and enjoyable than the weather. Great to have met you at last and sorry you had such a dreadful journey!! Next time perhaps... let the train take the strain - next time.!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing photographs Keith, what a wonderfull place to visit, view and photograph all those wonderfull birds, thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An excellent location to do some 'World' birding and at least you can hide out of the rain! Pity I didn't know you were in the locality as I wasn't too far away...maybe next time?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful trip with a perfect guide! Only the traffic could be better this day......... I wish you a sunny sunday and a exciting new week. A lot of hugs from Luzia.

    ReplyDelete
  16. trish and rain go together!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Tricia. Yea, it was a good day; really enjoyed it, and thanks for being my guide :)

    Horst, thank you. It’s hard to believe that such a place is in the centre of London. It’s an amazing place to visit.

    Cheers Frank. Yea, must make another visit, and meet up. A great place; apart from the journey lol

    Lucy, thank you. It was a perfect day :)

    Cheers Pete. That was brave lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post Keith. Reminds me of Slimbridge... and the Starling Roost their is phenomenal

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Trevor. Never been to Slimbridge; maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful pictures in the rain! The ducks are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Keith My Friend...just comimg by to see how your doing.... haven't seen you post in a few days!! Is everything ok with you??

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hiya Grammie. Thanks, yea, I'm fine.......just tired lol
    I've a lot of catching up to do.
    I'll get another post up tomorrow.....part 2 of Barnes I think; got way too many pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Keith..there you are....I see you visited me!! Yah.... you can look but you better not touch....Poison Ivy...your going to need an ocean of calamine lotion.. LOL just a hit and miss of the lyrics; great stuff : }
    OK so I'll be checking tomorrow for your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the photos your birds.. some I have never seen before.. each are quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cheers Grammie. Such a great song from the 60's. Seemed like every 'group' of the time had a version out.

    Hope, thank you for stopping by, and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Keith another great collection. My place is deserted here, I am lucky if I get three species sometimes, lol, well it isn't that bad, but it would be nice to see something new sometimes. Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Anna. I hardly got any birds in my garden a few years ago, but since I started feeding them, it's always full of them now.

    ReplyDelete