Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Friday, 1 July 2011

Friday Flowers

Well, another week has caught me out. I went to bed on Tuesday, and suddenly it's Friday. Where has the week gone?


Flower time again, and I've not really sorted out anything how I'd like to have done; but here's a lovely little flower, that seems to be in full bloom everywhere there's grass at the moment.


Prunella vulgaris




Probably better known by it's common name, Self-heal, although I found it to have many other names.

Square stem, Thimble flower, Sickle-heal, Sicklewort, Slough-heal, Hookweed, Panay, Proud carpenter, Herb carpenter, Hercules' all-heal, Hook-heal, Carpenter's herb, Heart of the earth, Brunel, Caravaun bog, Carpenter grass, Blue curls, Brownwort, Heal-all, All-heal, Bumble-bees, Herb, Fly Flowers, Heart of the Earth, Hook-heal, London Bottles, Pick Pocket, Pimpernel, Prince's Feather.

Self-heal is a native perennial found in grassland, lawns, wood clearings, field margins and rough ground. It is abundant in grassy places except the most acid.




It is incredibly vigorous, and spreads by underground stems that shoot out in every direction once the first root is stuck in the ground. Self Heal grows up to 60 cm high, with a thick dark green stem with a few broad leaves and purple-brown, blue-purple flowers, and flowers from May to September.




Selfheal has a wide range of uses in traditional medicine.

Prior to World War II, it was used to staunch bleeding and for treating heart disease. A decoction of the leaves was used to treat sore throats and internal bleeding. It is used as an anti-inflammatory and has anti-allergic activity. In western medicine it is used externally for treating minor injuries, sores, burns, bruises and can also be used as a mouthwash to treat mouth ulcers.

According to the 16th-century herbalist John Gerard, ‘there is not a better wounde herbe in the world’.

The 17th-century botanist Nicholas Culpeper wrote that the plant is called selfheal because ‘when you are hurt, you may heal yourself’.





Enjoy the rest of your day

29 comments:

  1. have a lovely day my dear friend, big hugh Kathrin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathrin :-)

    I'm off to work now :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's beautiful. i love it in the field mixed with the daisies. just lovely. :)

    (liked your 'went to bed on tuesday and it's friday!') feels familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keith...very interesting little flower, wow I wonder how it got so many names!!
    I have seen this little fellar all my life and never heard anyone call it by a name or say anything about its medicinal usage!
    Lovely photos though..the close ups show what a pretty little flower it is!!
    Hugs my friend
    Grace!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Keith, I was wondering what this plant was.........I now no what it is many times.
    Great images.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plants and flowers and their healing possibilities have always fascinated me.
    And yes, I truly believe that there are many things we could heal in ourselves, if we would just believe it ;)
    Not only is the week gone again, the first 6 months of this year are gone.
    Puff... gone....
    *shakes head*....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers and photos. My favourite are the last two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a beauty Keith.. enjoy your day and the weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Friday flowers Keith.. There are starting to come out here now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Texwisgirl, thank you. Yea, they look lovely in a mass in the grass.

    Thanks Grace. Until I looked it up, all I ever knew about it was its name lol

    Cheers Adrian. It certainly has a lot of names.

    Thanks Horst. :-)

    Nicole, it's frightening how quickly the time has gone this year.

    Thank you Kozma :-)

    Thanks Tricia. Hmmm, weekend I'm working this week unfortunately :-(

    Thanks Chris. A lovely little flower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fascinating read Keith and of course lovely photos. The last but one is particularly exquisite!

    It certainly is vigorous, there is an awful lot of it in what used to pass for a lawn in my garden, I used to pull some of it up but I have given up on that idea ;)

    I never realised it had so many other names. I thought London Bottle and Pick Pocket were particularly intriguing.

    About ten minutes before reading this I said 'how can it be Friday again already'! As for it being July... it's scary.

    I hope the results of those tests were satisfactory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Jan. I think it's a lovely addition to a lawn :-)

    Time just loses me these days; and the test results, not heard anything yet.
    Got a doctors appointment in a couple of weeks, so I might hear then.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all of them, and to have the knowledge of what that were, you have every thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful images of a lovely flowering plant Keith...and thanks for going the extra mile with all the other names my Wild Flowers of Britain book just uses it's common name.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting post, Keith. I especially enjoyed the macros of the many-named flower.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Keith...I like your new profile photo--in that hat you are looing like George Custard--very dapper!!
    Love this self heal flower--its fascinating and very pretty!!
    IT was a fast week and NOW a 3 day weekend for us here in the USA. Yippie--

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Bob. :-)

    Thanks Andrew. Yea, it took a bit of digging for some of the information.

    Thank you Linda :-)

    Thanks Sondra. I've just worked 5, and still have 7 to go lol
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are wonderful all of them. I am too unpatient to learn something about them, but I love finding and watching them (and if I have with me my camera, shooting them - they do not escape as others creatures)Really beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are wonderful all of them. I am too unpatient to learn something about them, but I love finding and watching them (and if I have with me my camera, shooting them - they do not escape as others creatures)Really beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Marias. Yes, they are easier than birds :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great serie, the 2 last one are just magnificient ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic shots, I love how you play with focus. I also learned something, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks JoLynne, glad you enjoyed them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant shots Keith, especially the low level ones.
    Great new hat as well. {:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Roy.
    The hat was a bit of an extravagance; not sure if I like it though lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just beautiful and I mean there is so much beauty right here. Lovely beyond words. The light is perfect.

    ReplyDelete