Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Friday, 12 August 2011

Friday flowers

Yellow Loosestrife 

Lysimachia vulgaris


Also known as Yellow Willowherb, Moneywort, String of Sovereigns, Willow Wort and Wood Pimpernel.

Unrelated to Purple Loosestrife (which flowers at the same time of year and in the same habitats), and despite its structural similarity, Yellow Loosestrife is actually a member of the primrose family. It is common throughout the UK and Ireland and can be found in northern European countries, too,

As a general rule it is the early spring flowers that are yellow, but here is a late summer plant that has stunning bright yellow flowers to brighten up the countryside when it is becoming more dominated by blues and pinks.

The yellow flowers (June-September) are borne in long-stalked clusters from the upper leaf axils.

The Yellow Loosestrife is a tall, handsome plant, from 2 to 3 or even 4 feet high,




 found as a rule on shady banks or crowning the herbage of the stream-side vegetation. It has a creeping root, which persists year after year, and every spring throws up afresh the tall, golden-topped stems, whose flowers are at their best in July and August.

Each flower is about 3/4 inch in diameter, forming a cup of five petals, quite distinct at their tips, but joined together near the base.




When the flowers droop, the five-pointed calyx, whose edges are fringed with fine red hairs, are seen at the back of the petals. The five stamens look quite separate, but are joined together at the bottom by a fleshy band attached to the petals, so that they seem to stand on a little glandular tube.

An astringent herb, yellow loosestrife is principally used to treat gastro-intestinal conditions such as diarrhoea and dysentery, to stop internal and external bleeding and to cleanse wounds
It makes a serviceable mouthwash for treating sore gums and mouth ulcers.




Believed to quieten enraged beasts and, if put about the yoke of oxen, would calm them. Gargle for sore throat. Root infusion for jaundice and urinary problems. Gnats and flies dislike the plant so it was smoked indoors to get rid of them.

Pliny (AD 23-79) recorded that lysimachia, the plant's Latin name, was a tribute to King Lysimachus of Sicily, who was the first to discover its medicinal benefits. The name "loosestrife" refers to the plant's reputed power to prevent conflict, particularly between animals, and to repel insects.




 Enjoy the up coming weekend 

27 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful flower / plant!
    Bright yellow with bright green, can't wait to see some colours in my own Life again (next Friday!!! :D)
    I totally adore that last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm staying weith my brother on the Isle of Lewis at the moment and the ditches here are full of it. As you say, it really brightens them up at this time of year. Here they are accompanied in wetter parts by Monkey Flower (Musk)so yellow is the dominant colour of the ditches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ".......power to prevent conflict, particularly between animals......"

    Keith, this looks like the 'cure all' that we've needed over the past few days!

    An informative post Keith, and some excellent images, the last one especially. [;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome blog, you sure know your plants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful herb Keith, and the writing is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A real cracker of a post......All the info new to me......now I just have to remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really like this last shot Keith, very artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flawless, fabulous, flowers....

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful flowers. i especially like the last shot - the sweep of the 'branch' is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Keith...I'm heading for the back yard just as soon I get done here...there must be something there to help me with the way I have been feeling...I had not idea it had those qualities lol..
    I dug a chuck of it up from somewhere years ago, and it is a survivior and can take over a garden in not time!!!!
    I do love that bright yellow patch though it glows like the sunshine!!
    Love this last shot...good info..!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. have a nice weekend my dear friend, big hugh Kathrin

    ReplyDelete
  12. A pretty plant Keith. Don't think we have any round here. It certainly doesn't look familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Nicole.
    Hope you get plenty of colour :-)

    Thanks Scriptor. I bet that all looks quite beautiful.

    Thanks Trevor. Yea, would make a good spray lol

    Thank you Horst :-)

    Thanks Bob :-)

    Cheers Adrian. It's the memory bit that lets me down. :-)

    Thank you Roy.

    Gemel, thank you. :-)

    Thanks Theresa; I like that one too :-)

    Thanks Grace. I hope you find something of use :-)

    Thank you Kathrin. Have a good weekend too :-)

    Thanks John. I've only seen it here around some areas of water; not all.
    I think all these shots were taken at a place called Stockgrove Park, near here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a beautiful plant and that last sot quite grand!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in awe of your talent and knowledge. Herbal remedies -- I wonder how often they could be used instead of the more expensive meds our doctors (here) would instead prescribe?

    The flower is beautiful as well and your pictures excellent as always.

    And I just had to revisit your post below -- I am still laughing about the wonderful word "yaffle"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your comments Sallie, you're very kind.
    I'm sure the herbal remedies are much better than some of the drug companies offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the DOF in the shots. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spectacular series on the Yellow Loosestrife!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...a beautiful flower...and beautiful photos--all picture card perfect. We have purple loosestrife here, but it's not native. I didn't realize it came in other colors!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Kelly.
    I must confess that I didn't know about the purple one, until I started to do a bit of research.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Puuuurrrrrrrty. I used to grow the "Circle Flower" when I had big gardens with room for it to spread, which it sooooo loves to do. I miss it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Robin. Yea, they like a bit of room.

    ReplyDelete