Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Friday, 4 April 2014

An assortment



A few older ones from Wales, but I'll start with a few from this morning.


We've had a lot of pollution recently hanging in the air, coming from Europe, and in that general direction. Coupled with the fog, it doesn't make for ideal conditions for pictures.



First up is lifer for me. A Dartford Warbler.



The same bird that Trevor featured in his blog a little while ago.



It seems this bird has been here all through the winter, and calling every day, in the vain hope of finding a mate.




Sadly, so far, he's been out of luck.




A quick visit first thing though, to Woburn Deer Park, produced a couple more birds for the annual 'tick' list.


A pair of Black Swans, have managed five healthy looking cygnets.




I don't think these are on the British List yet, even though they seem to have been breeding successfully for a few years now.



Another bird that took the year list upwards was Mandarin Duck.




Rubbish picture, but good to see a few enjoying the foggy/polluted morning.



And it wouldn't be right not to have at least one deer picture.




Plenty around this morning.




Back to Wales for the rest.



Flint doesn't have a particularly good reputation for some reason; but I rather like it there.


Across the Dee from Flint.




 Flint


There's a beauty in everything, and everywhere; if you take the time to look.



There's a place near Conwy, on the north coast, that is famous for its Hawfinch.

I visited there early one morning. It's called  Caerhun Church, down a very narrow track, off  a minor road.




Despite looking, I couldn't find any Hawfinch though. Maybe another visit is required.



Still on the north coast, and when there was some welcome sun, three shots of three different birds.



 Skylark.






Redshank






Little Egret. This one had a couple of rings. I must get round to finding out some history of this bird.




A bargain next.




Purple Sandpiper on the rocks, with four Turnstone.




Last one from February, is this young Kestrel that was around the cottage where I was staying.





Nearly done.

A couple of birds from March next.




Yellowhammer. Fortunate to see anything up to a dozen of these around the cottage.





Lesser Redpoll






Reed Bunting, foraging on the beach at Talacre.



And I'll finish with an all too brief encounter with a Hare that I had one morning.




He starts to come towards me under the fence, unaware of my presence. It had been snowing a little too.






Suddenly he stops dead. I've been spotted.






Then he's off!!



And so am I. Probably too many pictures, but never mind.



Enjoy your weekend.



26 comments:

  1. A Cracking assortment Keith, every one a stunner. Glad you found the poor old D Warbler at last! The Black Swans have done well again this year (where do all the cygnets they raise each year go to?) The images that should get top spot in the assortment box for me are the ones of the Hare, three great images that together tell a complete story...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Keith, I didn't even know there was a Lesser Redpoll. I did catch a glimpse of a Redpoll yesterday.
    Great post. I don't want to sound weird or queer but I miss your take on the world.

    Ps. Is the lesser Redpoll just invented like the white headed Wagtail? I have got tree or wood Pippets here are they that much different to the Rock Pippet that I need to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all lovely, Keith. You've captured such lovely lighting in many of these. The first and last, the deer, the yellowhammer and that yellow Flint sky are all stunning shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Trev. No idea where those cygnets go when they grow up. There must be hundreds in the country somewhere. The Hare encounter was memorable, and glad I managed a few pictures.

    Adrian, there are a few 'Redpolls'. The Common, which isn't; the Lesser, which is more common, the Mealy, which is a bit of a rarity, the Arctic .... rarish, and split into different types ...... it's all bloody crazy. The most common seen though, is the Lesser.
    As for the Pipits; for me their ID's are on a par with gulls. Yea, Water, Rock, Meadow, and Tree are all birds in their own right, and seen in their respective places in the UK. It gets confusing when the foreigners and vagrants turn up. Blyth's, Richard's, Tawny and a few others.
    I should have stuck to stamp collecting when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Hilary. Despite our lousy weather at times, we've had a few good days, and I've managed to take advantage of it.
    The day I went to Flint, the lighting was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Purple Sandpiper is an amazing photo, and the Kestrel and Hare, superb Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bob. I've had some great opportunities recently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Keith Never too many photographs when the quality you produce is superb. The Hare series are brilliant and I love the Deer. Also loved the 'Flint' shot. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful collection! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVED the hare at the end. and the deer! and all your beautiful birds! i saw the headlines of the dreadful smog/fog conditions. i'm sorry.

    i hope that sweet little warbler finds a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those shots of the factory across the way and the shot of the hare with his red ears........great.


    peter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Margaret, thank you for your kind comment.
    Enjoy your weekend too.

    Barbara, glad you enjoyed them. Thanks.

    Thanks Theresa. This foggy pollution reminds me of my younger days, when we had smog. Nothing changes lol
    I hope the warbler finds a mate too. I doubt he will though, they are a declining species here.

    Thanks Peter, I quite like the Flint area too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your photos Keith, keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keith, wonderful post! Great images!

    ReplyDelete
  15. spell binding shots!! Congrats on the lifer, and I was singing "4 Turn-stones and one Purple Sand- Piper"...to the tune of 12 days of Christmas..for some weird reason...LOL---> awesome shot. Love the big eard Hare!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Horst. Appreciate that. :-)

    Thank you Robin.

    Thanks Sondra. Yea, I get some random songs pop into my head at times lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not too many to look at! They are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Keith, great photos, you passed through not far from us when you were in Flint. The dartford warbler is a great spot, and the hare photos are great, we are trying to find some local to us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow so much to have a look at, the star has to be the Dartford Warbler not only well done on the new tick but the images too. I do love the kes' too and the two landscape images from Flint are interesting I like the industrial feel of the first but the sky on the second one is brilliant, the hare made me chuckle it's face as it comes through the fence is priceless, I hope you get some info from (is it) euroring on the Little Egret, sometimes they can be quick other times they can take an age, I waited 18 months once! Sadly I'm yet to photograph a Purple Sandpiper it looks a gorgeous species.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Linda, glad you enjoyed them :-)

    Thanks Gary. I always enjoy visiting that area. Back there again soon, hopefully.

    Cheers Doug. I'm still struggling with this computer at the moment, I think the Hard Drive is knackered, so a replacement coming. Once I'm up and running properly, (hopefully), I can get onto the ringing people about the Egret.
    The Purple Sandpiper is a stunner of a bird. My first. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Keith... Never to many, they are all enjoyable!! Love, love,love the Hare shot's ..made me think of Peter Rabbit (aka Hare) ; ) slipping under the fence into Mr McGregor's garden!!

    Your lifer is a cutie congrats... but when I lost my mate I sure as hell wasn't going to be calling for another!! lol!!

    Hugs

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Grace. Yea, the Hare was a great encounter, even though he didn't stay long.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The return of species is like having family come visit for me

    ReplyDelete
  24. I couldn't agree more. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful series, Keith! The Little Egret, Yellowhammer and the Hare under the fence are a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Daniel; and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete