Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Sunday, 27 April 2014

Another year rolled away



I've been out a fair bit recently, hence the lack of blogs and blog visiting. I've also spent some time updating my website with some new pictures.


Here's a few.





A very confiding Lapwing. A shame I didn't get the exposure right though.







Not the best of pictures, but it's here because it was my first Cuckoo of the year.








This is probably my best shot of a Cetti's Warbler. There's one at my local lake, so if you read that blog, you may have seen this picture before. Worth a repeat though, I think.





A visit to RSPB Minsmere, in Suffolk, the other day, with Trevor, and we saw some cracking birds. A great reserve; just a shame it's so bloody far away.




 Bearded Tit


A male. A small group of these were 'pinging' away in the sunshine, and giving some good views; albeit a bit distant.

And then a Marsh Harrier flies by .........





........... and you begin to wonder if it will get any better.




Well, the sun shone, and we saw plenty of other birds.




Some Sandwich Terns were getting down to business, and a large group of Sand Martins were nesting in a natural sandy cliff face by the visitor centre.





Even managed some video.






It's not all birds there either. We just missed seeing an Adder, but we did see some Red Deer.







A Blackbird was busily collecting worms most of the time we were there.




I later found his nest tucked away in some brambles, with 3 or 4 quite large chicks.




A visit there isn't complete without seeing the next bird.




The Bittern



They were 'booming' all day, but it wasn't until the end of our visit that we eventually saw one.




And then Friday, my birthday treat to myself. A trip to Paxton Pits in Cambridgeshire.
A site that is pretty much guaranteed this time of the year, to have, amongst other birds, Nightingales.



We were not disappointed.







The song is pretty spectacular, even if the bird does look pretty plain. A short video of the maestro performing.






Well, that'll do it for now, I think.


Have a good one.



19 comments:

  1. the lapwing, the bittern - awesome! enjoyed the martin and nightengale videos, too. the nightengale reminds me a lot of our mockingbird. but that bearded tit was the coolest for me!! neat bird!

    and happy birthday, keith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had some enjoyable days out just recently Keith and we've been lucky enough to see some wonderful birds. You also managed to get some cracking images and video.
    It was good to hear, and see, those singing Nightingales, I still don't think there's anything that comes close to matching that sound!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A stunning look round two venues. great shots as always. I've heard bittern a few times but never seen one. The nightingale was in really good voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What could be better than a Nightingale in full voice on your birthday .. belated Birthday Greetings Kieth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you saw such great birds for your Birthday. And you've had a Cuckoo already. Loads of great pictures as always. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! what a fantastic post Keith with some great images. Lots of gems here I wish I could see. I can never get a Nightingale only hear them. I have never seen a Bearded Tit. I did get a very brief glimpse of a Bittern once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday Keith, a bit late i know, what a great set of photos and film clips, boy can that Nightingale sing.

    peter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Theresa. Those Bearded Tits with the moustache, remind me of an old Chinese gentleman lol

    Yea, we've had some great outings recently Trev. The Nightingale was perfect. Icing on the birthday fruit cake.

    Thanks Adrian. The Bitterns were booming all day at Minsmere. I'm glad we got to see one in the end.

    Cheers Frank. Yea, a very special bird for the day. :-)

    Thank you Findlay. It's been a good year so far.

    Thank you Roy. Paxton is THE place to go for Nightingales. Well worth the trip.
    Minsmere for the beardies, and Titchwell too.

    Thank you Peter. That Nightingale is incredible. The end of the first clip, around the middle of the video, just amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice collections of birds. and videos! love the first bird, a real cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Keith... Well the birthday boy or old bugger I should say, lol, had one great day with plenty of good birding!!
    I was quite taken with the bearded tit, have not seen anybody over there post one!!
    The Sand Martins are fabulous , brought back some memories from when I was young, and there was a couple of spots in the walls of a pit where we could see them!! Haven't seen any since!

    Bitterns are hard to see when in the dry grasses!! I do see them around this time each year around the pond next to me!!

    Great video's !! I enjoy your birthday party haha!!

    Hugs for the birthday old bugger

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Doreen. The little crest makes it look very elegant. :-)

    Thank you Grace. The birthday went well with the birds performing at their best.
    Even the Bittern put an appearance in eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Keith Happy Birthday and you certainly were rewarded with a wonderful selection of birds. The Bittern and the Nightingale are special birds to see and I loved the video.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first Lapwing photo made me smile, it looks just like a creature from outer space.
    Belated birthday wishes. Serenaded by a Nightingale to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Margaret, glad you enjoyed it.

    Thanks John. A great birthday treat that was. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You went to a couple of my favourite reserves and we're richly rewarded. I really like the bittern, Marsh harrier and bearded tit images. But a special well done on the Cuckoo, Nightingale and Certtis

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Serkan.

    Cheers Doug. Yea, these places never let me down; always something worth seeing. I think we're very lucky to have such great places nearby.
    The Cetti's is at my local lake, and very showy at times.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Keith Well as I am playing catch up, I am now wishing you a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Once again a marvelous post. Great birdng places and wonderful sweet song of the Nightingale. Fantastic shot of the Bittern. Lovely to see the Bearded Tit and a very clear shot of the Marsh Harrior,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Margaret. The birthday was rounded off perfectly with the Nightingale.

    ReplyDelete