Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it. - Confucius
Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me
No Google Adds here.

Wednesday, 27 July 2016

A July post




Приветствуем посетителей из России . Мне интересно знать, как вы приехали сюда .



I've only been dipping in and out of the internet recently, and blogs have been neglected as a result. Real life is far more important anyway, even though things are pretty shit at the moment; here and in the rest of the world.


I haven't been taking quite so many pictures to post either, not really felt the need to post here, although some have been posted elsewhere.



Here's a couple though that I found quite interesting.

Germander Speedwell is a very common wild flower with blue flowers which have a white 'eye' and grows in grassy places.





but I found some that had me a bit confused.






After a bit of research I found out that the buds are often galled by a tiny midge, forming a small, cotton wool like ball. Fascinating.

The 'speedwells' are a large family of plants which can prove tricky to ID at times. Here's one other family member, before I move on.




Thyme-leaved Speedwell.

Another common one, which flowers from May to October.



I haven't seen many butterflies yet this year, but then I've not really been searching them out. Here's 3 that have happened to be where I've been, and had a camera to hand.



 Gatekeeper







Brimstone







Small Heath



A grasshopper of unknown name turned up one day.







As did an unknown bee;









No bird pictures worth showing at the moment, so here's a plant I've never really noticed before.




Water Figwort


Growing at the edge of my local lake.



Finally, one of the boy, relaxing in the sun.




Whisky



Adios. 

.

9 comments:

  1. Welcome back to blogger Keith...thought you'd turned into a hermit/recluse or something?

    Interesting about how the midges attack the Speedwell flowers...I've never noticed it before!

    And the Water Figwort, I've not come across that either...nice find.

    After a slow start the butterflies seem to be picking up in numbers now....[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer has me whipped as I almost took a nap a while ago....ALMOST!! Its too hot to get out with my camera and all creatures are laying low! Some amazing macro photography Keith. So glad you shared them!! HI Whisky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Trev. Mind you, not heard from you for 5 weeks. Thought you'd emigrated lol
    The Water Figwort is growing under the road bridge at Caldecotte, but very plain and inconspicuous. I've walked past it hundreds of times and never noticed it.

    Sondra, hot weather kills me. I can't do anything when it's too hot, and often have an hour or two in the afternoon; even when it's not that hot :-)
    The great thing about being retired and on your own, is you can do just what you want. Me and Whisky love it lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you back.
    That midge infestation is interesting.
    Good butterflies.
    Don't leave it so long till next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Adrian. That midge on the speedwell is something I'd never noticed before, but apparently quite common.
    I think my frequent posting days on here are gone, for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some interesting plant observations Keith.

    Glad to know you are still alive and kicking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Frank. Yea, still around, but not so much these days at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to see a post from you Keith and thanks reccently for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. My family who were visiting from Mlaawi have now gone away again and I was not commenting during their 3 weeks of being here s this is proably why I missed this post of our. Whiskey is adorable, so unlike your other dog and friend. Don't give up pphotographing birds Keith, you are so good at it and I love your videod walks round the lake. Thses are lovely close ups of the wild flowers, insects and beautiful butterflies. I have not seen as many butterflies this year but I probably have not been i the right places to see them! Anyway, hope you are keeping well and give Whiskey a big hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Margaret.
    I've not seen so many butterflies either this year. Maybe not looking hard enough, or not so many sunny days. :-)

    ReplyDelete